In a little under a month, a team of South Carolina arts advocates will travel to DC for National Arts Advocacy Day. This annual trip is our opportunity to sit down with our Congressional leaders face-to-face and discuss priorities facing the arts industry at the national level.
With recent news reports that funding for the National Endowment for the Arts may be at risk this coming budget season, having your voice heard at the national level is more important than ever.
We know that many of you can’t make it to DC with us, but we want to be sure your voice is not only heard, but also seen. So we have a favor to ask…
Send us your art!
We’re looking for artists across the state to send us original artistic messages of how important it is to support the arts in America which we can bring to Washington DC with us to leave with our Congressional representatives. We will leave your work with your representative when we meet with him or his staff. Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Visual Art: postcards, paper (8.5″ x 11″ max), and photographs (4″ x 6″ max).
- Written Word: poems, song lyrics, and creative personal stories.
- Performing Arts: links to videos, and photographs of performance(s) with description (4″ x 6″ max). Sorry, we won’t be able to distribute CDs, USBs, or other media storage.
- Student Work: Teachers are welcome to have classes create small works (half-page size or smaller please) around the theme “America the Creative”.
A few guidelines:
- Please send only one work. All work must be original and in positive support of the arts in America.
- No obscenities, adult content, or hostile language / content (we won’t take it with us if it is!).
- Should not contain content or language that is against any specific individual, official, or political party (the arts are bipartisan!).
- Work must be submitted without expectation of compensation, and with the knowledge that works will not be returned.
All work should be mailed to the SC Arts Alliance office, no later than March 16, 2017. We leave for DC on Saturday, March 18, so they need to be in our office before then!
SC Arts Alliance
PO Box 865
Fountain Inn, SC 29644